Thursday, January 30, 2014

Classroom Management Tool

Classroom Management Tool: 
Climbing the Walls (so kids and teachers don't climb them first.)

Ages: 5-8 3rd graders usually know how to behave or have chosen not to behave before I have to decide if I should employ this technique.




Print characters. We had rockets, then I rotated the rockets to the other teacher. In fall we started squirrels, I wanted to change for winter but never did. The students get to choose their color or I choose if I think a battle of wills might take place but most the kids accept what they get. Sometimes they just want a magnet. If they break classroom rules then their rocket falls. If they are participating readily most rise to the top. This motivates the little kids great, and starts to loose effect for second and third graders who manipulate their rocket. However, they get a point for a point card if they reach the top, and when the points add up they can have a present from my prize box. That happens after six times. I've been using it about a year and a half now with great results, though students with certain behavior problems will need a different motivator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment